Sunday, June 13, 2010

UPDATES

Friends,
I wanted to be sure to share some amazing things that have been taking place here and also some prayer requests. In advance thank you so much for staying in touch :)

Amazing Updates---
  • God has blessed me with a great group of teammates to work with. I am really enjoying getting to know them more, learn from them and serving together. They are a passionate group of people committed 110% to serve our Lord and His people! God has given us a special bond that has made working together such an enjoyable experience. Praise God for this!
  • A door was opened for me to begin teaching English lessons to a group of kids at a community called "Bendicion de Dios". I had about 55 kids interested in receiving classes but we decided to start with a group of 10 kids first. Majority of my class right now are girls between the age of 13-16 years old. It has been really exciting getting to know them better and also seeing how excited and eager they are to learn. Last week was our first week of classes.
  • I have been looking at different materials to use to teach the kids English, primarily looking for the cheapest options available. Two weeks ago, while I was searching and asking around, a close friend's father, msg'd me to tell me that he wanted to donate the complete "Sesame Street Learning English Set" for me to use with the kids. This was a huge answer to prayer, especially since this program is geared to younger kids 5-12 years old and it is conversational English. I am looking forward to starting to offer more English classes and using this material with the younger kids in the next couple of weeks. Praise God for this big gift!
  • Last week we also started teaching 10 kids guitar lessons. Jerome, a volunteer we have here for a couple of more weeks, has began to teach the kids how to play the guitar and they absolutely love it! We are looking for someone to take over after Jerome leaves.
  • Also I've had the opportunity to get to know better some of the women at "Bendicion de Dios" and have had opportunities to connect with them. Ive been able to visit and pray for one lady in particular called Teodora. She fell and injured her foot about a month ago and hasn't been able to work since but God has been taking care of her and her family while she recovers. God has created a very special relationship between us and I have had the opportunity to visit her every other day, encourage her, love on her kids and pray with her. She shared last week of how much she looked forward to my visits. Praise God that He has blessed her through my visits!
  • I have had a very good experience living at home with father. I am so grateful for the support he has given me driving me to work every day, feeding me when I am home and supporting the work I do.
  • I was sick for over a week and by God's grace I am all better now. I was out of work for 3 days, went to the doctor twice and was diagnosed with gastritis, colitis and food poisoning. I had to have a very strict diet but thankfully I am all better now. Oh, I am so grateful for this, it is so difficult to be on a diet and only be able to eat certain foods. No fun!
  • We (teammates and I) went on our 1st leadership retreat these last Thursday and Friday and had a great time. It was a great time to bond and get to know each other better as well as to plan for the next 3 years of Christ for the City El Salvador. Praise God it was a blessed time!
Special Requests----
  • Pray that more doors open at "Bendicion de Dios". That we are able to continue to work with the children but also that we begin to work more directly with their parents. Also that through teaching the kids English and guitar lessons the kids can begin to dream of a better future, a brighter future, a future where they can become all that they would like to be!!!
  • Also pray for the next 3 months for they will be very busy months for us here. We have a team of 8 people coming from different parts of the U.S. next weekend for about 10 days that I am leading, we also have another team coming in July and another team coming in August. In addition we have about 3 short term missionaries that will be serving with us for a couple of months each. It is a blessing to receive all this support but it will be a very busy time for all of us here at the base.
  • Please do pray for my car search. I have a budget of $2000 to buy a car but so far its been hard to find a car in good condition for that price. I am still hopeful and waiting for the right one to come along, as more missionaries and teams come it will be necessary that I have a car to drive people around, run errands, etc. Or even better, that God provides for a free car!!!
  • Also, my camera broke a few weeks ago, please pray that God provides the finances to buy a new digital camera or that he provides for a camera to use to take pictures of all that goes on around here.
  • Lastly, but very important, please continue to pray for my monthly support and finances. Pray that God continues to bring people that can partner with me in what He is doing here in El Salvador. Pray that He provides for all the financial support that I need. I still haven't met my goal and might need to return to the States to fundraise some more once the money I have runs out :(
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR PRAYERS, YOUR ENCOURAGEMENT AND FOR YOUR SUPPORT OF ALWAYS. I LOVE SEEING THE WAY GOD WORKS AND RESPONDS TO PRAYER AND TO THE NEEDS OF HIS CHILDREN. MAY GOD BLESS YOU AND YOUR LOVED ONES. THANK YOU FOR OUR FRIENDSHIP AND YOUR LOVE!

No comments: